7 Dead, 82 Hospitalised After Eating Prasad In Karnataka

7 Dead, 82 Hospitalised After Eating Prasad In Karnataka

BENGALURU: At least seven people died and 82 were hospitalised after consuming religious food offering -- or prasad -- at a temple in Karnataka's Chamarajnagar district today, police said.
A district official claimed that some toxic substance may have got mixed with the religious offering being served at the Maramma temple in Sulivadi village, resulting in the tragedy. "We have collected samples and sent them to a laboratory for investigation," news agency PTI quoted him as saying.

The ailing people were sent to hospitals across Kamagere, Kollegala, Ramapura and Mysuru, the official added.

According to a witness, devotees decided to eat the rice-based offering although it was smelling of kerosene. "Soon afterwards, they complained of stomachache and began vomiting," he added.

Chief Minister HD Kumaraswamy expressed shock over the incident, and directed the authorities to ensure that the affected people receive proper medical treatment.

Police said the religious offering was distributed after the temple's foundation-laying ceremony. An investigation is on.